Do you make New Year’s resolutions? Do you keep them? No. I didn’t think so. If you do you’re RARE!
According to Forbes, “just 8 % of people achieve their resolutions.”
40% of Americans—make New Year’s resolutions. (For comparison, about one-third of Americans watch the Super Bowl.)
73 percent give up before they reach their goal. In fact, 1 in 3 have already dropped their resolution(s) by the end of January! Chances are, they’ve even set the same fitness goal and given up on it 4 times in the past.
Details.com lists the most popular resolutions:
The Top American Resolutions:
21% Weight loss
14% Improve finances
10% Get a new job
7% Healthier eating
5% Manage stress better
5% Stop/reduce smoking
5% Improve a relationship
3% Stop procrastinating
3% Set time aside for self
3% Start a new activity/hobby
2% Improve my work habits
2% Stop/reduce drinking alcohol
1% Assertion/learn to say no
Do New Year’s resolutions even work? What does all of this mean?
The answer is still YES. A small percentage of people are getting results. Remember 8% achieve their resolutions or goals. If they can do it, you can too.
How come most of us never reach our goals? Probably because we never really learned how to set goals and follow through. I don’t know about you, but that class would’ve been pretty valuable to me back in high school. I probably would have actually paid attention! I could’ve aced “Get What You Want In Life 101!” But sadly, they never touched on that subject. I took countless other classes filled with useless knowledge that I never applied in the real world.
How do you really set and reach your New Year’s resolutions and goals for 2015?
Well, maybe we’re doing it wrong..
First, let’s look at these “resolutions” as GOALS instead of resolutions.
How do you set goals? How do you make them stick?
There are a couple of ideas on this subject. But Lincoln was right. Setting a goal properly is half of the magic.
If you’re not reaching your goals, chances are they’re not SMART. I don’t mean they’re dumb. I definitely don’t mean you shouldn’t set them. SMART is an acronym for goal setting. SMART goals mean they should be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, & Time Bound.
But what the heck does that even mean? Here’s a great example:
Here’s what I suggest.. Follow these 5 steps and you can have everything you really desire in 2015 and beyond.
5 Steps To Getting What You Want in 2015
- Write them down. – Get them on paper. This may sound strange, but it works! There’s something about this that makes it magic!
- Make them SMART – Get clear about WHAT you want and WHY. If you know what it is you want and what you will do and won’t do to get it, you’re one step closer to success.
- Go Public! – It’s all about accountability. Make sure you have someone who will keep you honest. A partner, mentor, friend, or spouse can really help add the positive pressure to make your goal a reality and remind you of WHY you set it in the first place.
- Make them Visible – Look at your goals. Daily, Weekly, or Moment by Moment. Put them some place that forces you to orient yourself to them and be INTENTIONAL about your actions. (Some post them on their mirrors, post-it notes in the office, or on their phone where they can constantly be reminded.
- Review Your Progress – This is where the measurable part comes into play. It’s important to set goals that are quantifiable so you can actually go back to track how far you’ve come. Trust me, when it gets tough (and it will), it will help you to look back and see how much progress you’ve made.
Now, do you want the secret sauce?
This is an added bonus.
Tap into “WHY?”
Get 100% clear on WHAT you want, but do not pas this step up.
Drill down. Don’t just stop at the surface. Get deep. Ask “WHY.”
“Why is it that I MUST pay off my debt?”
“Why is that I MUST lose 50 pounds?”
“Why is that I MUST spend more time with family?”
This isn’t time for logic.
Your emotions are the fuel. They will push you through the times you want to quit, throw in the towel, or even more dangerous (play small).
If you sprinkle in your WHY to every goal you set, you will not only set great goals, but you will achieve them.
This isn’t rocket science. Trust me, you can even stumble into your goals.. I did last year!
I was doing a little bit of a review from 2014, and here’s what I discovered.
If I can fall into my goals, imagine what you can do if you get really specific, strategic, and intentional..
Seriously, If I can do this.. YOU CAN!
Now, that we’re clear, what goals will you set for 2015? What resolutions will you make?
Phone: 616-536-1717 (Yes! I answer!)
p.s. How can I help? Are you struggling with the direction in your life. Do you feel like “there’s gotta be more to life than this!” Is something just “holding you back?” I’d love to hear from you! Leave me a comment or send me an email and tell me what you’re struggling with!
If you enjoyed this post & video retweet and comment please